Ethical Hacking is also called “White-Hat Hacking” or “Penetration Testing”. It is the type of hacking in which the hacker uses the same tricks and techniques as in Hacking, but the major difference is ethical hacking is legal.
Who is a HACKER?
A person who is an expert at a particular programming language or system, the one who can pick up the program quickly.
There are three types of hacker.
- Black-Hat Hacker
- White-Hat Hacker
- Grey-Hat Hacker
The person (basically a programmer) who has extraordinary programming skills by which he can harm your personal data by gaining access of your computer. Black-Hat Hackers use their skills for their own personal interest, which is universally illegal.
They not only hack computer (take control of a system) but also other useful information from the system like security information or secret information etc. They use their skills for the sake of money and other purposes like leaking the secret information of banks and security agencies.
The programmers who have an extraordinary skill in programming, but they don’t aim to damage any other system. They use their skills for defensive purposes and make better use of their knowledge.
The White-Hat hacking is universally legal. These hackers are hired by the companies also and they use this skill for the good of others and common good of nation or organization.
Grey-Hat Hacker use their skills either offensively or defensively depends upon the situation. It happens when personal issues are more important than national or organizational issues.
To overcome the problem faced by the hacker, he/she prefer his/her personal issue over national or organizational issues. Their behavior is unpredictable, sometimes they use their skills for common good but sometimes they use for personal gain.
FUNCTIOINS OF ETHICAL HACKING
It is used for checking the security of the targeted system. It doesn’t damage the target or steel any information.
It just reports back to the owner, after checking the system to let him/her if any harmful element exits.
SKILLS FOR ETHICAL HACKER
The ethical hackers must have more and more knowledge about the following:
- They must know about the operation, configuration and management of the system.
- They should also have knowledge of Linux/Unix, their security settings and configuration
- Command in Configuration and operation of intrusion detecting system of firewalls
- Know-how about Routers, Routing Protocols and access control lists
- Knowledge about mainframes computers and
- About Network Protocols; TCP/IP; How they function and can be manipulated
WHAT DO HACKERS DO AFTER HACKING
- First of all, they search for the security gap or hole and patch it out for the other hackers, not to intrude
- They clear logs and hide themselves
- They install rootkit, because of this they can use the system later. It may continue Trojan,Viruses
- They install IRC related programs i.e. Identd, IRC, Bitchx, Eggdrop
- They also install scanner program i.e. Msscan, Sscan, Nmap
- Install the exploit program
- Install denial of services program
- They use all of the install program silently
- Ethical hacking helps us to find the security gaps in our system
- It provides security to banking and financial institute
- Prevents website defacement
- It depends upon the trustworthiness of the ethical hacker
- Hiring of ethical hacker or professional is more expensive.
Arif Ullah & Hamza Afridi