The United Nations Journalism Fellowship is a unique possibility for young (assignment journalists from rising international locations and international locations including economies within change of state after cover the United Nations. The Reham Al-Farra Memorial Journalism Genus 2019 is at present begin for applications. The programme additionally arranges visits in conformity with a range of information organizations, certain as much the New York Times, Democracy Now! yet WNYC radio. During the 3-week programme, fellows bear an possibility after go with different briefings, interview senior officers and alternate thoughts with colleagues beyond around the world. In preceding years, fellows hold met with the UN Secretary-General, President of the General Assembly then everlasting representatives to the United Nations. The RAF Journalism Fellowship will lie last at UN Headquarters New York beside 15 September to 5 October 2019.
The Reham Al-Farra Memorial Journalism community used to be mandated into December 1980 by using UN General Assembly Resolution 35/201. Formerly acknowledged as much the DPI Training Programme because Broadcasters or Journalists beside Developing Countries, the programme used to be renamed among 2003 within dignity of Reham Al-Farra, a 29-year-old Jordanian people records officer who used to be defeated within the 19 August 2003 bombing about the UN center of Baghdad.
Since its founding into 1981, the fellowship has been awarded according to 596 journalists out of 168 countries. Upon conclusion concerning the programme, fellows are predicted in imitation of continue pursuit within journalism yet promote a higher perception on the United Nations among theirs home countries. The programme does now not furnish simple competencies training, as all fellows are work journalists.
HOST COUNTRY: United States of America (USA)
HOST ORGANISATION: United Nations
FELLOWSHIP DURATION: The duration of the United Nations fellowship is 3-week.
FELLOWSHIP DATES: 15 September to 5 October
The fellowship covers roundtrip airfare out of your us of a concerning residence in accordance with New York and gives a daily profession admission (approximately $410/day) that execute remain chronic because of adapt then meals.
Only applications from candidates meeting the eligibility criteria below will be considered.
To meet the eligibility requirements of 2019 Fellowship, candidates must:
- be between 22 and 35 years old
- be a fulltime working journalist
- be proficient in English
- possess a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond the start of the Programme (programme begins September 2019)
- be a national of a developing country or country in transition, as defined by the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs
- Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lao, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Palestine (State of), Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Russia, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe
You will need the following documents:
- Three (3) published work samples related to international affairs. These can be submitted in their original language. Please include a brief summary in English for material that is not submitted in one of the six official UN languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.
- A letter of reference from your current employer or (for freelancers) an editor you have worked with
- Your curriculum vitae in English or French
- Proof of education (your highest degree or diploma)
HOW TO APPLY
You must apply via the online fellowship application form. You must to log in or register to access Reham Al-Farra Memorial Journalism Fellowship 2019 application.
The application deadline is 15 April 2019.