United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) strives to promote gender equality and women’s human rights, strengthen implementation of gender-sensitive policy and legislation, and eliminate all forms of violence against women as well as to protect women’s human rights. Attention is given to issues of excluded groups and their capacity to lobby so that these become part of mainstream decision making and planning. It provides technical advisory and services on women’s economic empowerment, ending violence against women and girls, women’s leadership and participation, including in disaster risk reduction and management and gender integration in planning and budgeting. UN Women works towards ensuring an effective UN response by strengthening the effectiveness, coordination, and quality of outputs on gender equality amongst the various stakeholders.
UN Women launched its programme in Pakistan in 2007 following a request by the Government and the UN and is now strategically positioned in this regard at both the national and provincial level, post devolution. In moving towards realization of gender equality and women’s empowerment, UN Women provides support to innovative initiatives that promote women’s human rights, with a special focus on their economic security, governance/political participation, freedom from violence, as well as preparedness and responding to humanitarian crises.
UN Women Pakistan is looking for 4 Research and Documentation Officers, one for each of its provincial offices, to support the Programme Lead in research and documentation work related to Violence Against Women, Governance and Human Rights. The Officers will provide support in research, data collection and analysis, and documentation on gender and violence against women, which will cut across all programming interventions.
- Total Position:
- Job Type:
UNV ( First Shift (Day) )
- Job Location:
Peshawar, Lahore, Karachi, Quetta
- Minimum Education:
- Degree Title:
Social Sciences, Public Policy, Public Administration, Development Studies, Gender Studies or related fields.
- Career Level:
- Minimum Experience:
2 Years(• At least 2 years’ experience in research, analysis, documentation, records and information management. Preference will be given to those who have worked on EVAW, human rights or governance.)
Under the overall guidance of UN Women Representative and the direct supervision of Programme Lead, Ending Violence Against Women (EVAW), Governance and Human Rights (HR), Pakistan Country Office, Islamabad, the UN Volunteer will perform the following function:
- Identify critical issues relating to Governance, VAW and Human Rights for undertaking analysis and research;
- Undertake and synthesize research to inform and enhance portfolio interventions;
- Document lessons learnt and comparative experiences from global activities on VAW, Human Rights and Governance;
- Assist in preparing internal documents such as terms of reference, calls for proposals, meeting notes, field visits reports, briefings and other project documents as required;
- Draft high quality and timely documents for various external audiences such as concept notes, project proposals, fact sheets, presentations, project updates and donor reports;
- Assist in the designing and printing of documents;
- Develop knowledge management strategies, products and methodologies for the Unit;
- Maintain an up-to-date database of relevant stakeholders including government departments, CSOs, donors and UN agencies working on VAW, Governance and Human Rights and keep informed of their work with regard to data collection and research;
- Identify and establish collaborations and partnerships with research institutions and resource centres; and
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Inputs and substantive comments to initial research design;
- Laws, policies and strategies adopted and implemented to prevent and respond to violence against women and girls (VAWG)
Qualifications / Requirements
- Master’s Degree in any of the following disciplines: Social Sciences, Public Policy, Public Administration, Development Studies, Gender Studies or related fields;
- At least 2 years’ experience in research, analysis, documentation, records and information management. Preference will be given to those who have worked on EVAW, human rights or governance;
- Proven excellent analytical, report writing and organization skills and knowledge of research methodologies;
- Strong understanding of gender and development issues in Pakistan especially about access to justice, violence against women, and human rights;
- Proficiency in the use of software used for preparing reports and supporting materials including Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) is required; proficiency in use of other software/ databases will be an asset;
- Creativity in the presentation of information through use of graphic, pictorial or other appropriate communication means;
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and function as part of a team; and
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Urdu required.
- Strong technical and analytical skills in gender and social development issues and ability to provide well-grounded, quality analytical inputs with pragmatism and a focus on results;
- Ability to think innovatively and strategically in dealing with policy issues, while maintaining a strong client focus; Ability to manage dialogue with government and donors on gender issues;
- Hard working, able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and a proven ability to work in multicultural settings and teams;
Language Skills: Fluency and writing skills in English and excellent reading and writing in Urdu is essential. Spoken proficiency in other provincial languages are a plus.
How to Apply:
You can apply through the online application system
- The application deadline for Airblue Internship Program is 24 june 2018 12Am gst