What do You Mean by Virtual Reality?
If you look at the terms Virtual and Reality they show clearly that it is the reality which doesn’t exist in real. Virtual Reality is actually 3D computer generated environment with which any person can interact.
We all know that human has five senses but in fact there are more senses. You might be confused that what Virtual reality means and what is its connection with our senses?
So, don’t get puzzled, it is something related with our senses.
The concept of Virtual Reality is that suppose a person is wearing a headset and that headset will take him in the 3D environment. It will completely break down the interaction of that person with the real world. It will take him to the world of imaginations.
If you install UK tour on that headset then you will feel that you are in UK but actually you would not be there. The Virtual Reality plays with our senses to let us interact with 3D world.
Let me tell you one more thing about Virtual Reality. While interacting with virtual reality you will truly believe from mind and heart that you are there in that environment.
Now you might be thinking that movies are also 3D then can we call movies Virtual Reality?
So, what you think about movies? Do you truly feel yourselves in that environment? Obviously not (not talking about 3D animated movies) the movies are not Virtual Reality.
Type of Virtual Reality:
Virtual Reality is not only of one type that we are thinking it would be. There are some faces of Virtual Reality that are discussed below.
1. Fully Immersive:
Fully immersive virtual reality is a situation where a user completely breaks the connection with the real world or environment and interacts with that environment. The user doesn’t feel the real world, but he/she is completely engaged with computer 3D environment.
Using non-immersive Virtual reality, the user doesn’t completely engage with computer generated environment but will feel the real world or environment also. The best example of non-immersive virtually reality is (Desktop) systems. The user interacts with 3D environment using system.
Collaborative virtual reality is when several people interact with each other using a space and the interaction happens over several locations. This takes place to let people share ideas over a network. Fox example, multi-player games.
Web-based virtual reality is interacting with virtual environment using web pages. Developers develop web-based 3D environment using VRML (virtual reality markup language). Web-based technology is growing and becoming popular now a days.
Collaborative and web-based virtual reality are going to be the most used Virtual Realities in future.
History of Virtual Reality:
- The first virtual reality machine was developed by Morton Heilig’s in 1962.
- In 1890 Thomas Edison and his Assistant William Dickson developed a camera for taking pictures.
- In 1895 first Movie Theater was opened by French Brothers (Auguste and Louis Lumere).
- In 1929 first airplane simulator was developed by Edwin Link.
- In 1950 a book was published by James J. Gibson named by ‘The perception of the visual world’. This book helped in the foundation of visual perception.
- In 1956 Morton Heilig starts developing machines for producing artificial sensory.
- In 1957 Morton Heilig developed a Pioneering 3D head-mounted display.
- 1962 Morton Heilig get permission from government for a machine called Sensorama which deeply involve user in artificial vision, sound, smell and vibration.
- In 1961 the first real head-mounted display named by Headsight was maded by C. Comeau & J. Bryan.
- In 1962 Ivan Sutherland, developed a Sketchpad with allows user to draw on a computer screen.
- And then in 1965 (Sutherland) developed HMD.
- HMD with stereo 3D vision also developed by Sutherland in 1968.
- In 1970 a Videoplace based on virtual reality laboratory was opened by a scientist called Myron Krueger
- 1975 – 1976 a programmer Will Crowther developed an Adventure which allows user to play text based games and solving problems using question and answer dialog.
- In 1977 the first dataglove was produced by Dan, Sandin, Thomas Defani and Richard Sayre.
- In 1980’s the world changed a lot and fast 3D graphical workstations came into market.
- In 1983 a scientist called Myron Krueger invented ‘artificial reality’.
- In 1993 a great graphical computer game called Myst was developed by brothers (Robyan and Rand Miller)
- 1994 web-based reality was then introduced by Dave Raggett.
- In 2014 Oculus was announced by Facebook having worth of 2 billion dollars.
- In 2017 large amount of virtual reality headsets were sold by Sony
- Now in 2018 a headhand called ‘brain-scanning’ has been announced by Neurable with built-in electrodes which gives hand-free control of Virtual Reality.
- Following is the picture of world’s first Machine.
Applications of Virtual Reality:
Virtual Reality has so many applications. It is not that we use it only for fun, it can be used for so many useful purposes as well. It has so many uses in the practical life. Below is the list of applications of Virtual Reality.
It is use for so many Education purposes like Engineering and medical students used it where they generate a supposed environment for understanding a point clearly which is crucial. For example if a doctor service is needed in performing an operation, and the doctor is in foreign so he can guide through a computer generated environment to make operation successful.
Doctors also use virtual reality to train medical students that how to attempt surgery.
Psychologist and other medical professionals are using Virtual Reality to heighten traditional therapy to get effective solutions.
Civil Engineers also use this technology to make large buildings and roads easily.
It is widely used for Entertainment, the scenes which are not possible to capture in reality so they are conducted using it.
Besides this virtual reality is widely used in the Heritage, what you can see in museum, in business, Sports, Media, Scientific Visualization, Telecommunications, Construction, Film making, Programming languages etc.
The most standard features offered by virtual reality are as follows.
OBJECTS VIRTUAL IMAGES
Virtual reality has the ability to show object virtual images. Where a panorama looks out to the surrounding area, this type of image looks like small but let you to spin the image around completely. This is an interesting way to display the image completely.
If you think that your image can be distributed without your knowledge so it can be encrypted to prevent duplication from unauthorized duplication.
IMAGES, SOUNDS AND ANIMATION
Graphics, sounds and animations can be added in image by using virtual reality. When someone watching movie on screen, so the animation of the theater logo can be seen on the screen. Different sounds can be produced related to the background or animation with the help of Virtual Reality.
INFINITE HIGH QUALITY ZOOM.
The normal image of a camera can be blurry or pixelated with zoom in too far. With the help of Virtual Reality, you can zoom it so far and the image will be in normal and good condition. So, you can try to zoom the image for a closer look.
Advantages of Virtual Reality:
- Virtual Reality create a practical world that can’t be expected.
- It enables user to explore idea in a modern way.
- It is user friendly.
- Using Virtual Reality user can interact with artificial environment.
- Students can get more benefit of Virtual Reality in educations area.
- It can be use in research area and many more.
- Virtual reality makes a better connection among the people.
Disadvantages of Virtual Reality:
- The equipment or tools used in Virtual Reality are very expensive.
- Not everyone can afford Virtual Reality.
- The technology used in virtual reality is very complex.
- User will become computer addicted because it is not possible without computer.
Iftikhar & Abubakkar